Made through a collaboration between Black Diamond and PIEPS, the Saga 40 JetForce Backpack marks a departure in traditional airbag design. As the largest bag in Black Diamond's JetForce line, the Saga is ideal for working avalanche professionals, ski patrollers, and backcountry enthusiasts who prefer to escape the crowds in those far-flung zones.
JetForce technology is unique in the sense that it abandons traditional canister deployment systems by utilizing a lithium ion battery-powered jet fan. Since the system is rechargeable, it eliminates the cost of expensive canisters and refills. It also eliminates added travel hassle, since the system doesn't require compressed air or nitrogen. Not only that, but the battery will support at least four deployments on a single charge. The bag itself is made of a puncture-resistant Cordura fabric and is designed to automatically deflate after three minutes in order to potentially create an air pocket in the off-chance of a full burial.
The backpack itself maintains Black Diamond's popular backpack design by utilizing the skiing-friendly ReActive suspension system and SwingArm shoulder straps, designed to maintain a high level of comfort on the descent. A dedicated avy tool pocket keeps your shovel and probe close at hand, while the tuck-away diagonal ski carry system allows the bag to deploy while your skis are attached. A zippered back panel allows for quick access to your snow study tools and down jacket, and the Hilo helmet holder keeps your brain bucket on board for technical ascents and well-earned descents.
- Puncture-resistant cordura single airbag
- JetForce inflation technology
- PIEPS electronic activation
- Lithium Ion battery powered
- ReActive suspension with SwingArm shoulder straps
- 840D ballistic nylon fabric
- Dedicated avy tools pocket
- Zippered back panel
- Tuck-away diagonal ski carry (allows for deployment with skis attached)
- Vertical snowboard carry
- Ice-tool Pickpockets
- HiLo helmet holder
- This airbag system is NOT a guarantee that you will survive an avalanche; get educated, get the right tools, travel with partners, and be smart out there